We have had a lot of Swiss Chard this summer, so here is a quick recipe you can use to spice up your greens.
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Hot sauce (optional, for extra heat)
- Cooking oil
1. Wash the Swiss chard thoroughly and remove the stems. Separate the leaves from the stems, and chop them into small pieces. Keep the leaves and stems separate.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the chopped bacon. Cook until crispy, then remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside, leaving the bacon drippings in the skillet.
3. Add the diced onion to the skillet and cook until it becomes translucent and slightly caramelized. Stir in the minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
4. Add the diced red bell pepper and Swiss chard stems to the skillet. Cook for about 5 minutes until the stems are tender.
5. Tear the Swiss chard leaves into bite-sized pieces and add them to the skillet. Sprinkle the smoked paprika and cayenne pepper over the mixture. Stir well to coat the leaves with the flavors.
6. Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth and apple cider vinegar. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. If desired, add a few dashes of hot sauce for extra heat. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
7. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until the Swiss chard leaves are wilted and tender. Stir occasionally to ensure even cooking.
8. Once the Swiss chard is cooked, remove the skillet from heat. Crumble the cooked bacon and sprinkle it over the top of the dish.
9. Serve the Soulful Swiss Chard Delight as a side dish or as a main course over rice, quinoa, or with cornbread on the side.
Enjoy this delicious and soulful twist on Swiss chard!